I started writing in a journal when I was relatively young… pre-teens, perhaps? Just a simple paper journal. Then, when the internet took over, I had blogs in various places (Xanga, Live Journal). Sometimes you can’t beat the good ol’ pen and paper, though, where I would turn when I needed to vent. It can be both depressing and humorous, looking back at some of those entries.
I mean, life goes on… but some things never change!
When I moved to WordPress I migrated many of my old posts, but I didn’t save everything I wrote. Still, it can be somewhat amusing, entertaining, embarrassing even reading some of that stuff. I keep it there for posterity, though – and who knows? Perhaps someone might get a laugh, relate, whatever.
I came across an old Bucket List from ten years ago. I was probably “tagged” by a friend or saw an article, hence the outline. Nothing spectacular, but as I read the list I realized – Ah ha! I can cross some of those off! Let’s take a look…
1. my family grow ✓ (I’ve got four kiddos with me and one in heaven)
2. the world beyond my own backyard ✓ (well, nothing too far afield, but I’ve been out-of-state)
3. my friends and siblings find accomplishment, happiness, etc. ✓ (some of them have gotten married, started families, found jobs and careers they enjoy… always a process, but nonetheless)
1. s’mores roasting when we go camping on our own ✓ (we have been camping many times now and, unfortunately for my growing waistline, the s’mores have been made and consumed many times as well)
2. the autumn air with the same feeling of hope and expectation no matter how old i get ✓ (perhaps not quite the same… but I still love the smell of Autumn)
3. anything yummy baking and not feeling deprived
1. coffee in a cafe in Paris
3. real Italian food
1. laughter as friends and family enjoy the hospitality in our finished home ✓ (our house always has something that needs doing, but for the most part, it’s done)
2. Philip tell me he understands, and he’s there for me no matter what
3. God speaking to me
1. the hearts of others
2. Nikki’s pregnant belly ✓ (I forgot about this one! She now has 2 kiddos)
3. a lion/tiger… or maybe a penguin!
2. situation, even if i can’t control or understand
1. everyone i meet, no matter what
2. God with all my heart
3. unconditionally ✓ (as a mother, this is easier to get… it’s the “liking” that’s the hard part!)
1. for sure
2. that it isn’t in vain
3. that i’m important, loved, needed ✓ (okay, admittedly I’m still working on this one… but catch me on a good day and I’ll tell you that, yes, I’m all of those things)
Looks like I still have a long way to go. Many of those points reflect an inner struggle that I battle daily – perhaps I will never check them off, but I suppose that gives me something for which to strive.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (NIV)
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.