After having fun upcycling tops into tanks and t-shirts into undies, I requested a bunch of hand-me-down tees from family members who didn’t want them anymore. Consequently, I have a stack of t-shirts just waiting to be refashioned.
Nikki celebrated her daughter’s first birthday recently, and I knew I wanted to make her something. When I saw made‘s tutorial for The WARHOL Dress, I knew I had to try it. I picked contrasting t-shirts for each dress and kept it simple, opting not to do any embellishment on the front. Since the smaller size of the original pattern is for 6-12mos, I simply traced a slightly larger pattern onto paper.
These were pretty simple to put together, and I love the details – like the gathered neckline and the bow.
I could have stopped there, but thought I would try my hand at a matching diaper cover – again, thanks to made’s tutorial for the perfect diaper cover. I didn’t have enough of the navy material leftover, but I had enough to make a matching cover for the red dress. While I was at it, I figured I would experiment and turn it into a ruffle-bum diaper cover – because babies with ruffle bums are oh-so-adorable!
Let me tell you – I love how it turned out, but working with t-shirt material for a diaper cover was a pain in the butt (no pun intended)! The seams wouldn’t stay crisp so it was… uh… interesting sewing up the channels for the elastic.
I have so many things on my sewing project list my head is positively spinning, but I may just have to make one of these for Gwen sometime – before she gets too tall!